View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
steved0x

Need car ideas to replace my son's Miata

Everybody is ok, but my son's 95 Miata was destroyed last night in a crash; he was heading eastbound on a 4 lane divided highway and a lady coming in the opposite direction turned left into him.

She was ticketed and is at fault, but I am not sure what sort of value a 95 Miata with almost 200K miles on it is going to be worth. We put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this car over the last year getting it fixed up, new brakes, updated clutch lines and slave cylinder, just got 4 new tires less than 500 miles ago, roll bar, daylight running lights module, rebuilt the shifter with new gaskets and boots, and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now. Maybe we can buy back the salvage and part it out to help recoup some of the loss.

The officer suggested a Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS, but I told him I didn't think the check would cover it

I don't know if we want another Miata; we love the car but this accident has him shaken up pretty badly. Luckily the other car was a Camry; if it had been something more massive like an SUV I'm not sure if we would have had as good of an outcome.

Any tips on getting back in the saddle, as he is really shaken up. We have an older Tacoma he can use while we get this all sorted out, and maybe he can just take that over. He was really looking forward to coming to Roebling with me in April for his first DE (that is partly why we got the roll bar and the new tires) and I don't know if this will be sorted out in time for that, or if he would be ready by then.

Both airbags deployed, and thankfully at this point is appears to be nothing more than bumps, bruises and sprains.

MR2? AE86 Corolla? RX7? (I would be afraid that would be too powerful and it has its own maintenance challenges, but there is an older convertible in my neighborhood that might be available) Dare I say 944? I am not sure if I could keep up on the maintenance on something like that...

Edit: wow this is a rambling post. And nobody hit the windshield, I guess it is just broken from the distortion of the windshield frame... The back end is fine, the officer said the roll bar probably added a lot of rigidity to the body back there.

Last edited by steved0x; 02-26-2014 at 10:46 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote