View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 AM   #18
jc986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I ordered a graphite grey kit from leatherworld technologies and it appears that the graphite grey on their site is not a direct match. It's a shade or two too dark. I'm hoping they'll take back the one they sent and do a color match.

Jc986, did you sand the leather much? Did it absorb the color readily? I tried to color my old handbrake and it didn't seem to take too well. I'm thinking its due to It being a handbrake and soaked with oils from being handled all the time.
Ckrikos, No I didn't sand it too much. The sanding is only intended to smooth the surface, so just sand lightly, you're not going to sand out the cracks and creases. Those defects you will fill in with the leather filler. When the leather filler is dry, you can resand with 400 or 600 grit sand paper until its smooth.
As for the dye not matching, did you use their automotive section and match your car to the chart they have? Sorry to hear it's not matching. Mine matched quite well. I did notice that the dyed areas look just a touch darker but I think that's because my seats may have been faded (along with the carpet) from sun exposure.
I'm not sure the handbrake will take that dye, unless it's actually covered in real leather (vs. a vinyl type material) But Yes, you definitely need to remove ALL oils from the surface before repainting or dying anything. You can buy degreasers in the automotive stores, or do what I did and just use rubbing alcohol.
Good luck and let us know how it goes from here.
jc986 is offline   Reply With Quote