View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Everything. Porsche uses a unique gear oil (it has no Gl rating) that is manufactured for them by an obscure branch of Royal Dutch Shell. When we questioned several manufacture's about their products for this application, the larger and apparently more honest ones (Mobil, Castrol, etc.) stated that it is an unusual product with unique specs, and that they had nothing comparable to offer because of the small market. The smaller "blenders" all claimed to have the perfect match for it; only problem was that their "matches" caused noise, hard shifting and other problems, which promptly went away when their products were drained out and replaced with Porsche's OEM fluid, which is also a full synthetic.

It's your car and you money, we only use the OEM product.
In my opinion we are lucky to have JFP and other folks like him on the forum. For me it is about trust and faith. (And Porsche doesn't always get it right, but they mostly do or else we would not love the cars the way we do) I replaced my IMS with the LN because I wanted to not worry about it. $90 for Porsche fluid vs $45 for 3 quarts of aftermarket isn't that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. The peace of mind for doing it right is worth more to me than the extra $45-$50. And if I try one of the others and don't like it then I am out the $45 + the $90 for the oem fluid and two afternoons of grunting under the car pumping my little pump, leaking oil all over the place, etc... After changing 2 diffs and a t-case on the fj, with two more diffs and one manual transmission on the tacomas, I am worn out from the pumping. (ok that sounds bad..) I would hate to have to do it twice

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote