Thread: kit car
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #46
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hey kcpaz, in your experience with boxsters, do you think there would be any economy/market in building a tube frame that utilized the boxster front and rear sub-frames (w/ steering, suspension, brakes, even engine/transmission)? from what I can see, if you use the complete assemblies, it wouldn't be that complicated - the front sub-frame is a pretty much stand-alone unit, and the rear as well. or just easier/cheaper to build from scratch?
For a track toy maybe, I think the key is the required level of fit & finish. The Shelby Series 1 used mostly Corvette C4 suspension components, bolted to a custom aluminum tube frame/tub. C4 steering knuckles were used front & rear by swaping sides in the rear like a Boxster. C4 knuckles are forged, C5 knuckles are nearly identical but not forged. Shelby's contract with Oldsmobile included free GM parts for the 1st 5 prototype cars. Shelby was allowed to buy production intent parts directly from the vendors that manufactured them. I was amazed to see the largest C4 brake rotors (13.5" Z-51??) cost $37.50.