View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Kirk

First of all I dropped the transmission, which is probably more tricky on the 911 than the Boxster/Cayman due to access in the middle of the car. I think it will be quicker on my Boxster because I can drop the rear bumper and exhaust pretty quick and get much, much easier access to the transmission. Complicating things on my car was the fact that it is AWD and I had to deal with the drive shaft going to the front wheels. Honestly, with all of the work involved in installing the DOF system the most time consuming was just removing the transmission to begin with! My car has 55K miles on it and the clutch was pretty worn, so I am replacing the clutch while I am in there.

This is one thing I like about the DOF flange. Look at the hole that the oil squirts out of. It's relatively small. I dont' think you need tons and tons of oil for this one bearing, just a reliable, consistent source. I think this small stream of oil will be perfect.

Getting the trans, clutch, and flywheel out, this is what I found.

The rear main seal was weeping a little bit of oil

But it looks like the IMS flange is leaking a lot more oil. My car had a flange with updated seal, but obviously it did not hold up over the last ten years.

The new DOF flange with updated seal will help with this problem, but I'll also install a new, updated RMS seal as well, bought from Pelican Parts (along with flywheel bolts, clutch bolts, and the new Spec clutch).
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote