View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #100
cnavarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
There seems to be an acceptance at the point the video was made at continuing to use the OEM bearing yet in more recent postings that seemed to have changed.
Personally I question whether the OEM steel bearing isn't sufficient, with proper lubrication. I just posted on Pelican data for the OEM bearing and it is actually stronger in dynamic loads than the IMS Retrofit ceramic bearing. OEM double row is unquestionably strong enough for the application (again see my Pelican post with the comparison chart). TuneRS doesn't come across as real strong in having to replace the OEM bearing if it is not worn - kind of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" idea. Personally, as long as I'm in there I'm going to at least install a new steel bearing.

With the DOF, where does the oil go once it gets past the intermediate bearing ball/race and hits the inner seal? Into the tube like it is said it does now? If a different route, what causes the difference? I see a port in but no port/path out is described.

See my picture in my last post and in a previous post. The oil drains through the slit between the shaft and the cover. As this is a small opening the area around the bearing will probably fill with oil and maybe even provide back pressure to the in-feed.

How would one know on pulling the transmission that they should remove the outer seal? Or is this is even part of the DOF kit install procedure? How would they know to replace the bearing? With what bearing and why isn't that an optional part of the DOF kit?
TuneRS has not focused their discussions on the bearing, but instead the lubrication kit that they offer. The kit does come with a new SKF steel single row or double row bearing. They are both RS types - which means sealed on one side, open on the other, ready to install. They also offer ceramic bearings that are significantly stronger (static and dynamic load). More details are on their eBay listing:

Porsche Intermediate Shaft Bearing Direct Oil Feed DOF Kit Single Row IMS | eBay

I am familiar now with what comes with the kit because I've called Mike and asked him a ton of questions and he has e-mailed me specs on the stock and ceramic bearings. All of this was to help me make an informed choice for myself and my cars. I've done that and last night I got my first kit from TuneRS. I think I'm going to install this one in my 2003 Carrrera 4S with a single row SKF 6204-RS steel bearing. I will see how that goes and then get a kit for my Boxster.

Kirk Bristol
Where are you getting your data from on load capacities?

I'm sorry, but our ceramic hybrid bearing can't be weaker than OEM but TuneRS's ceramic hybrid is stronger. It doesn't work that way. There is a given load capacity for a 6204 single row bearing, whether conventional or not. Just by going with a ceramic hybrid will you gain load capacity. In fact, some charts say you might loose a bit, but by all measures, a ceramic hybrid bearing is considered superior to a conventional and is a logical choice for this application.

As far as conventional bearing replacements, there already is a kit with a conventional bearing - the Pelican kit. If you want to allow engine oil to lubricate it, just pull the seal.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution

Last edited by cnavarro; 10-24-2013 at 01:58 PM.
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote