Thread: 986 S vs 996
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
jacabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
^The bias of (some) 911 owners is one of the highest on a inter-brand basis. I'm really surprised how many times I've heard folks say "have you thought about upgrading to a Carrera?". My internal reaction to that has always been "why would I want a grand touring?". I'm after a roadster, a wholly different kind of car. It's amazing how Porsche's marketing department were able to get people to forget that sport car categories actually mean something. For instance I'll hear someone say "I upgraded to a GT3 from a Turbo Cab". Again, one is a track tool the other is plush highway cruiser. How is that an upgrade? An upgrade is a GT3 to RS, or a Cayenne base to Cayenne Turbo -- and not about crossing categories. I'm not sure if this 'blurring' of sports car classes exists with enthusiasts from other brands but it makes me wonder if the typical Porsche owner really is a sports car driver or more an image-chaser.

When I sold my old car the buyer from South Florida looked at my Boxster S and said "you know I considered a Porsche but down there people say 'oh you have that Porsche but you don't have this or that more expenisve version' so I didn't bother at all". LOL.
This is so true , after hanging around on the 911 forum I find they wrench much less on their own cars vs 986 forum members and this lack of knowledge really shows how little a lot of them know. I told a member that the 986 S has the same brakes as a 996 c2 and he thought that was not possible .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote