View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaincamp View Post
Just back from a 2-day DE at Watkins Glen. In the long run, I realize that I was deluded when I believed my only costs would be the seats and harness. Switching to "bolt-in" OEM 996 GT3 seats required also switching to an aftermarket BK seat bracket, as I was too tall in a helmet, even with the BK roll-bar extension. I needed a BK sub-strap harness bar mount, and had to have Stable Energies, NJ fabricate a bolt-in harness bar with the right geometry. They had Schroth custom-fabricate a Profi II with the correct ends for my seat belt mounts for slightly less money than the GT3 belts. Self-installation of all this was pretty straightforward. My seatbelt chime goes off by itself after a few seconds, so I just left it alone. Everything came together nicely when used with a 20 degree HANS, and the increased safety and firm location seems worthwhile. Still, I'll probably switch back to my regular seats after the last DE event of the season. Thanks to everyone for the useful advice, and to the patient guys at Stable Energies.

Also...Once I installed "keepers" (which I forgot on the first trip) on the harness bar to keep the straps from spreading, I had to remove the storage box above the engine cover.
Yes, many of us have had the same experience - you're thinking: How hard can it be to mount racing seats? The truth: VERY DIFFICULT (and expensive)!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote