View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Perfectlap

Perfectlap's supermarket car wash

This is for those of you who want to wash the car on the run, or are too lazy to get out the bucket and hose like me, or live in an urban dwelling, or just hate paying for others to scratch up your paint. This method of car washing is also easier on the paint as long as you pre-soak the car.

I stopped by Wal-Mart for some self-inflicted aggravation (everything esle was closed) and on my way out I noticed they had a decently stocked car care section. I ended up picking up the following:

3 gallons of distilled water ($3)

2 car wash buckets ($4)
They appear to be the generic brand that I've only seen at Wal-Mart. They have a little grit trap a the bottom and the bucket itself is made of a very thin plastic which is perfect for mobile detailing. They easily fit in the front trunk. One bucket is for cleaning the wheels with the water/turtle wax solution left over from cleaning the paint and the other is only to be used for cleaning the paint. It's the bucket in this picture, the brand is on the label for the yellow towels (which you should NOT buy) and blue wash mitt (which are okay to use).

1 chenille wash mitt ($4)

1 small soft bristle wheel brush ($4)
Not sold online for some reason. It looks like this but has a grey handle, its from that same generic brand Wal-Mart brand. It's very lightweight for keeping in the trunk.

1 bottle of Turtle Wax Rinse Free Car Wash ($7) Tthis is nearly $14 at some auto stores!
At 34 oz's this is enough to do 17 washes or $0.40 cents per wash. A bargain. But check online to see if your local Wal-Mart has it on the shelf, they don't seem to carry a large stock. And the 34 oz's at $7 must be an introductory price. I bought two bottles... Optimum No Rinse, the most well known competitor in this category, is $16 for a smaller 32 oz bottle before shipping.

1 roll of Scott Shop Towels ($2)

This whole wash took about 5-7 minutes. Clean up took 30 seconds.

#1) I pre-soaked the car with about half of the first bottle of distilled water. Next I poured two ounces of the Turtle Wax solution into bucket #1. It should just cover the bottom. I then emptied out the second container of distilled water completely into bucket #1. I dunked the chenille sponge to mix up the solution and water, and in one long pass, going in the direction of the wind, I cleaned from the headlight to the rear tail light. Dunk the sponge again, give it a wring, and work your way down. Add a little more water and solution if you start to run low. Do the hood and trunk in the same way, long downward passes, no back and forth. Leave the bottom areas of the car (skirting, wheel well edge, bottom of bumpers) for last as these are the dirtiest. Obviously, don't use this stuff on the canvas top, Raggtopp cleaner there only.

2) Wheels: next take bucket #2 and pour in the second half of the distilled water from the pre-soak and add the remaining water/solution from the other bucket used to clean the paint, so basically recycle the leftover solution in buckegt #1. Dunk the soft bristtle brush and clean the spokes and lug wholes. Then wipe the whole outer rim of the wheel. I would stand behind the wheel when doing this because the solution is very thin so its going to spray all over and get on your shoes. I keep a roll of blue shop towels in the car, these work well for drying the wheels. No need to wash a dirty cloth towel full of brake dust. You may have to wet down the shop towel a little bitt to get it soft.

Rinse down: this step is optional and somewhat contradictory to name of the 'rinse free' product title, but I like to be thorough in washing away any debris that may still be on the paint without having to actually touch the paint. So just take the third bottle of distilled water wet down the car, rinse out the buckets and wash your hands. Use the shop towels to clean out the buckets.

Drying: None. Don't touch the paint. Towel drying is where most of the scratching occurs. Just get in the car and drive it fast for five minutes. When you get out afterwards I recommend doing a once over with your favorite spray wax and these Griot's towels. They have a high loft and do not feature prickly ends like typical auto store microfiber towels. Try getting them online when Advanced Auto have 30 or 40% sales (via email coupon) otherwise they're about $5 a towel in-store, kind a steep when you need to keep at least 12 of these handy. I like to use this spray wax, also from Griot's. It leaves a wet shine without having to use a paint-rubbing/swirl creating paste wax. These days I'm only using liquid polishes and sealants. All waxing is done from liquid sprays to cut down on paint rub.

p.s.
This stuff is really good for tires. They carry this Surf City line at Wal-Mart as well, I also see it at Advanced Auto and most other auto stores. It leaves a nice dark finish with no bling shine. I spray the tires liberally before I do this rinse free car wash, that way I clean off any of the dressing that drips down onto the wheels.

Also, the Griot's leather cleaner is excellent for Porsche leather. I was very suprised how well it worked. I'm not usually a product fanboy, and Griot's has been around the concourse scene for a long time, but I just like the convenience of being able to buy this level of product over the counter at Advanced Auto instead of paying for shipping from a detailing products website. I also don't like to wait for things! Too bad other boutique brands don't do the same with other retailers.

So if this works for you always pick up a couple of bottles of distilled water from the supermarket. You can clean your car anywhere.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-08-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote