View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
fullthrottle52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
The issue can also be grounding and there is a TSB that was posted long ago that covers the repair. Porsche even issued a kit to do the fix.

My '01S had 4 trips to the dealer to get to where the lite was finally off. First two were seat belt, third was grounding, forth was grounding again with me being told that the zone guy had come up with a new procedure beyond the original TSB.

Fault codes for the airbag system can be read by those with the right equipment.

A writeup by Maurice and the original TSB are here.

Make sure your grounding is right before replacing the module.

Always when in for service insist that the codes be given to you. You may do nothing with them but the service tech will think you are watching and checking that what he is trying to sell you on doing makes sense. And posting them enables those on the forums to more accurately focus on what your problem might be.
Thanks for the information. I knew about the seat belt issue and so did my indi when I took it in. Before diagnosing the issue he said it was probably a seat belt latch needing replaced. I did spray electrical contact spray in the latch before taking it to be looked at to no avail. When the indi hooked up his computer to the ODB port, within a minute he said I suspect it is something besides the connector. He said the scan tool would not allow him to "see" beyond the air bag control module to get a code. He said cars are set up like that so that if the control module goes it let you know it by not being able to see beyond the module.

I may take it to the dealer to see if they get the same thing. What I'm really trying to find out is if I buy a "new never used" unit off of ebay, can you plug and play or does it have to be programed for my car? It looks like there is not a lot of information on this here. There are unused units and used units available for much less then the indi is asking. It looks like an easy access and change out if I just knew it could be replaced.

Thanks again for your info.