View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
pjq

I'll remove the sump tomorrow.
Yes the IMS bearing failed. I sent the IMS to LN engineering and they were able to install the triple row bearing and pin the shaft.
When the shaft failed I had just come off the Interstate and stopped and the stalled. When I restarted the car she fired right up but it was the death rattle. I drove the car 600ft, to move it out off the way, then called a tow truck.
A near by Porsche indy shop diagnosed it has failed IMS bearing as well as the near by Porsche dealer.
I brought the car home, dismantled it myself then took the block to a reputable engine rebuilder who never worked on a Porsche before. They mainly work on race car engines.
When he took the engine apart we found the only other damage besides IMS bearing was one journal bearing had turned. After cleaning and measurements it was determined the journal and saddle would be ok.
They took their time reassembling the block, ARP crank and rod bolts were used to replace factory.
After the rebuilders finished with the engine I put the ancillaries on and installed it into the car.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote