View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
mountainman

Garage
Knowledge is power.

Recently I got blasted pretty good by a few members for trying to find out what company made the oem water pumps for Porsche. Some thought it was petty and I should just trust the Porsche dealer to sell me what I need and not worry about researching the mfg.
If you are going to drive one of these cars you better acquire all the knowledge you can for self protection.
3 years ago My 996 C4 died on a PCA outing. I had it towed to the Nearest Independent German shop ( my towing package pays only to the nearest shop available). This is a well respected Porsche certifies mechanic, not a jackleg under a tree. This was on Saturday afternoon. Monday morning I called the shop and told him it had just made a lot of noise and quit. He called me back a few hours later and told me it was an IMSB failure and I needed a new engine and he quoted me about $22K. I quizzed him about the IMSB problem since That was my first water cooled Porsche and was not at all informed about the problem. I also requested that he check and see if Porsche would cover any part of it since he said it was a weak point in those engines. He called back and said no. Since I was not sure I wanted to spend that kind of money, I took a trailer and brought the car home. His bill for the diagnosis was $270 for 3 hours labor.
After a month of reflection I decided to go ahead with a new engine and I assumed all things considered that having it done at a Porsche dealer would be best since there was a 2 year warranty and they would be better suited to do the work. I checked 3 dealers and settled on the one that could do it quickly and was also $3K cheaper than want I was initially quoted. I also had them check with Porsche about covering some of it . They also said no dise. Got it done and all was well except I am put $19K.
Now, since then there has been the lawsuit and settlement which I am in line for as I fit all the criteria, so I started filling all the papers. They also require that you submit proof of an IMSB failure. When I look at my receipts I find that The Indy that initially did the diagnosis had put only that there was metal in the filter and I needed a new engine. When I called him and told him the problem he let me know that he was pissed off that I had taken it somewhere else for the engine swap and he would not verify anything. I then looked at the dealer invoice and it said only that customer needs new engine and it was changed. So guess what, even though We have a settlement I can't prove I qualify. Since I was not informed about the IMSB and didn't know a settlement was in the future, I am still screwed. Wonder how many IMSB problems slip thru like this.
This is why I want information and appreciate what I learn here. I Trusted an Indy and a dealer and found out you still have to know as much or more than they do to protect yourself. They have their interests in mind more than yours. Information is power.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote