View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

Now that I think back, I have at least 2 in the 115k range.
That's sort of my point. You're running a shop and even then you only see a handful north of 100K. It's too early to give the m97 IMSB the all clear since, and this is the important part, most are still in their reasonable life expectancy period.
Firgure the m96 single row that fails, under suboptimal care/use, was only good for ~50-70K or less, I would presume that the m97 bearing would be good for double at most? Probably less since once the bearing is contaminated, neglected for too long, the drop-off comes quickly.

The other issues seems to be, as you point out, your cars are actively driven by its owners. Will an m97 IMSB that was driven meekly, short shifted, etc. and sat for long periods (typical Porsche usage), fare as well once the bearing is long past the 'sell by date' -- and ALL bearings have one. In other words, m97 IMSB's seem to be doing a good job during their life expectancy, but the overwhelming majority of these non-serviceable bearings will not be retired when they should be.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote