View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
Sorry, what? The 2.9 engine isn't DFI, but all the 9A1-based engines (so all 987.2 and 997.s wet sump engines) have no IMS, have closed deck bores and revised cooling.

What exactly is it you think the 'mid-engine' models are missing?
must have been off my meds. Got my Caymans wrong. 987.1 Caymans did not get m97 updates found on the m97 Carreras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

I haven't seen a failure of this larger M97 bearing (yet) and I have had 8-10 of them come through the shop (engines) and 15-20 987/Cayman customers.
But we also haven't yet seen a huge number of m97 Cayman and Carrera with really high mileage either. One of the reasons Porsche is near the top of the reliability rankings is due to low mileage, only the Cayenne sees consistent daily driving among its owners. As a class, Cayman, Carrera, Boxsters take over a decade to see high mileage...precisely when they start becoming affordable to most with more limited budgets. Once these new bearings start going well north of 100K miles and they start to become really contaminated/dry out/under-perform and the then current owner opts not to spend the considerable amount of money to crack open the engine to swap out the old m97 IMSB for fresh one, what's going to become of these engines? I really can't think of any reason that these bearings are going to sit still in the engine forever. Fahrvergnügen?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-26-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote