View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
My last hope today is to get a dremel and use a cutting wheel to chop of ace. I could go through the thin part of the "hydraulic" push rod, or, more likely, shear off the ball connector from the v-lever. It is threaded into the v-lever, and I've already tried backing out the bolt until it's now stripped. Can that ball joint be purchased separate from the V-lever? Cheaper than shearing off the shaft of the pushrod?
The little steel ball is the least expensive part to replace, and it is available from Porsche as part # 986.561.689.00. Porsche calls it a "ball pin", and it lists for about $18.00.

If you can get at it with a Dremel tool and shear it off, that will release the clamshell (since you already have the other side off).

Then you can open the clamshell and operate the canvas part of the convertible top manually to get it into the service position.

Be careful when the pressure is finally released from that one remaining black pushrod as it may kick up a bit. Inside the black "hydraulic" pushrod is a large spring and the V-lever rotates near the end of the cycle to pull on the clamshell (and puts the spring under pressure).

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote