View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Bought, and tried yet another relay, and no dice. So I went to pop off the ball joints as the manual mentioned and is this some kind of joke on Porsche's behalf? I see no way of getting either of those off without damaging multiple things. I even tried a pry bar, large screw driver, and a hammer. So far, I'm just marring the connectors.

So, I'm supposed to unbolt the V-lever now to relieve pressure on the connections? Seems like getting this all hooked back up and aligned properly afterwards would be very difficult, but I need the top up asap.
Hayden:

If you are having difficulty popping off the plastic ball cups off of their respective steel balls, there is a workaround.

Put the convertible top in the "service position", then look down at the end of the V-lever where the front pushrod is fastened by a small Allen bolt. You can unscrew that Allen bolt and that will leave the front pushrod connected by the plastic ball cup only. At that point, you can reach under the rear of the convertible top, grab the front pushrod and wiggle it off the steel ball. You can reassemble it the same way, in reverse order.

The only pushrods that are under pressure are the black "hydraulic" pushrods that are connected to the other side of the V-lever and to the support arms of the clamshell.

The only pressure on the front pushrods is the weight of the convertible top and frame and it is relatively light pressure.

If you can't get the top in the service position, and the top is stuck completely open, the only way to get at "the works" is to unscrew that 19mm bolt that is holding the V-levers in place. They are on there with loctite, but they will come off. You have to use an offset box wrench to access the 19mm bolt because it's slightly recessed in a circle inside the middle of the V-lever.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 07-05-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add more info
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote