View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
southernstar

How well do you trust the mechanic who did your PPI? Personally, I think the rad flush is a make-work on these cars unless there is a need to replace the waterpump (see the related thread below). If they could see that it was sitting, why? Were the brake calipers seized? Were there signs of corrosion on various parts from lack of use? If so, what parts?

Are there any signs of oil leaks? If none, was it checked after a good, hard run? If not, it should have been.

You say the owner claims to have done yearly oil changes - does he have bills for the oil and filters? If not, how can you confirm this. Did the PPI include an oil change? If not, it should have. If so, what did the oil look like? If not like new, I don't believe the owner about having done the required annual oil changes in spite of such low mileage. Were there metal or other particles in the oil/oil filter after it was cut open? If the mechanic did not cut open the filter, shame on him.

Did he do a compression test? Did he do a drip-down test? Both of these are important on any car, but especially one that has been sitting apart from 250 miles a year and which may have had old oil (which often contains water from condensation after long periods of sitting).

If the owner has owned the car for that many years, what records does he have for servicing the car? If none, again I'd be nervous. If so, you can use that to check his mileage claims. It will also be worthwhile in order to see if any of the parts that often start to fail at 60,000 plus miles were replaced. E.g, the waterpump, A/O/S (air oil separator), MAF (mass airflow sensor), clutch, coolant expansion tank, spark plug tubes and coils, ignition switch, suspension arms, etc.

If he has no records, is he prepared to tell you where it was serviced over the years so that you can check to see if they have records on file. If not, why not?

The car may be a great buy, but I would certainly want more information about the car than the owner seems to have given you, especially if he has owned it that long. I would also want to have a comprehensive PPI by a trusted Porsche mechanic who is not connected with the seller.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote