View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

986 2.5L vs 996 3.4L Comparison

I just bought a 1999 996 C2 after my 1999 986 was totaled while parked in front of my house. Here are my thoughts between the two. My thanks and apologies to 986_inquiry for stealing the format.

1999 986 2.5 5-speed vs 1999 996 3.4 6-speed review

1) ACCELERATION: Well, the 996 has 300hp compared to the 986's 200hp. 50% more hp is a big deal especially when the 996 weighs slightly less than the Boxster. The bottom line is the 996 quite nicely out accelerates the 986.

2) MPG: Don't care. At all.

3) STEREO: Same CDR-220. But let's talk about the REAL stereo - the exhaust! The Boxster rips the 996 a new one here. The 996 exhaust is too quiet and too low toned - and there is no 4000 rpm howl. I'd take the Boxster exhaust any day.

4) AC/HEATING: Same system, good ol' Manuell.

5) HANDLING: Night and day difference. The Boxster has fantastic turn in and balance in corners - dive in, set the suspension, and ride the edge of grip using throttle steering (more throttle to push the arc out, less throttle to pull it back in). No drama, everything stays nice and tidy.

The 996 has a ton of grip, maybe more then the Boxster once set into a turn, but it is slower to turn in and it is more than happy to have the rear come around once things get slidey - especially if you let up on the throttle too much while trying to tighten up the turn like I do in the Boxster. The solution: keep the weight on those huge rear tires!

And let's not forget the 996's light steering feel on hard acceleration out of a turn. Yes, the rear weight bias lets the 996 dig out of a corner like no other car, BUT its a bit uncomforting to have the steering go so light.

6) EXTERIOR: Your choice. I like both designs although the rear of the Boxster always looked a bit awkward to me whereas the 996 is perfectly proportioned front to rear.

7) INTERIOR: Very much the same. Rear seats in the 996 are useless for people but are handy for throwing stuff back there. But I have to admit, I really miss the rear trunk! The 996 is about 100 times easier to see out of the back as compared to the Boxster. While the 996 isn't as quiet as a BMW, it is still quite a bit quieter than the fabric roofed Boxster. But then, the 996 sunroof isn't even close to how nice it is to have the top down on the Box.

8) TRANSMISSION: The 6-spd of the 996 is smoother and the sixth gear is nice to have to reduce rev's on the freeway. The Boxster 5-spd always felt a bit clunky to me.

11) BRAKING: Even though the 996 brakes are bigger, the Boxster brakes are still better. Not sure why, but they are.

12) OTHER: The 996 really feels more like a GT car and the Boxster is IMHO a true sports car. The 996 feels smoother and more refined whereas the Boxster is more immediate and tactile.

13) WOW FACTOR: Everyone likes the 911 so I think that the 996 has an edge here. No more "poor man's Porsche" jokes - instead everyone will think that you're an orthodontist. Not sure which is worse.

Which do I like better? Both. For pure driving excitement, the Boxster can't be beat. But the 996 feels more expensive and is smoother on long freeway drives. Add in the 300hp acceleration and the more balanced styling and the 996 is hard to deny.

I'm glad that I will be able to keep the 996 for the street and build a Spec Boxster for the track. Best of both worlds!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote