View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
insite

certainly there are lots of different variables. one thing is for certain: the stock ECU map for a 996 contains no fuel ratios near 10:1. it's a losing proposition: less power, more emissions, worse mileage. the only cars that need to run in the 10's are augmented (turbo, supercharger). the extra intake heat & cylinder pressures raise the probability of knock. the extra fuel is used to cool the charge (latent heat required to vaporize fuel is around 300kJ/kg) & stabilize the flame front.

the accuracy of MAF readings in a given system is largely irrelevant so long as it is PRECISE. the ECU is tuned to the specifics of that vehicle. if the MAF reads 20% low compared to reality because of flow idiosyncrosies, it doesn't matter, because they program the ECU with maps that take that into account. that means that with a completely different intake, the stock 996 maps on my car may be irrelevant even though the engine is from a 996.

most NA cars will make good power between 12.3 and 13.5 AFR. i will be generating maps at WOT that model lambda from around .83 to .92 in 1% increments across the RPM band. i will plot HP vs. RPM vs. AFR, chosing the power path & programming the computer accordingly. i will also monitor knock to make sure things are safe. one thing i need to learn more about is ethanol in fuel. does RON+MON/2 account for the anti-knock properties of ethanol? i.e. does ethylated 93 octane fuel have a higher EFFECTIVE octane rating?

i digress. at any rate, as i do all of this, i will have many pretty charts, graphs and tables to spell it all out. it will be cool. my guess: 50HP (crank). quote me on that.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote