View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
broken2bfree

Garage
ims bearing panic

Hey guys, Newbie to both form and Boxster. I picked up a 2000 boxster base at a good deal last weekend. I read up on the issues with IMS bearing and was prepare for what I might find during my first oil change. As luck would have it my filter was full of debri. (see photo) I should mention that the last oil change according to sticker on windshield was well over 10k miles and june of last year.
Of course I panicked and ordered replacement bearing from pelican. I began tearing down the car to the bearing and was surprised at how clean the bearing housing was. No leakage and the entire area was fairly cleaned. I found the clutch was replaced not long ago...I'd say 80% life left. When re-examining the filter with a couple of buddys, we found that the fragments weren't metal at all. In fact you could scrape it up and roll it into a ball that eventually would turn to goo. we ran a magnet over the entire filter and nothing. I'm thinking i panicked and my bearing is fine, but what on earth is that debri in my filter?
broken2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote