View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

986 Wrecked, Replacement Thoughts...

I've thought about where to go from here for about a week and here are my thoughts;
  1. Having a dual-purpose street car and track car (BSX) is a compromise for both. Yes, it can be done and it works, but neither was optimal.
  2. I'm near the top in my current track class and feel that I'm a faster driver than the speeds/times that my wrecked car was able to turn. Yes, I could probably squeeze out a sec or so more, but I think that I'm ready for the next level and need "a bit more car" to get there.
  3. I have been looking for a way to move up to true wheel-to-wheel racing.
  4. My wife didn't like driving the BSX on the street. Its too much "track" for her and not enough "GT" luxury.
Therefore, this is where I'm heading at the moment;
  1. Buy a Boxster roller with a blown engine. Move the engine/trans and all of the BSX parts from my wrecked car (engine, trans, suspension, seats, harnesses, etc) to the roller and then have it built out into a Spec racer (add roll cage, hardtop, and a few other bits and I'm there).
  2. I've always wanted to own a 911. I'm thinking a 996 would be perfect for the street (and my wife). And since I already know a lot about the Boxster, that knowledge will almost all transfer over to maintaining/repairing a 996.
Of course, I am still thinking this through and I don't have anything firm from the insurance company yet on my wrecked car, so nothing is set in stone.

Let me know your thoughts? I am off to drive a couple of 996's this morning...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-07-2013 at 06:27 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote