View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
insite

jaykay -

much of the information in that post misapplies sound science to draw INCORRECT conclusions. bobbing up and down the road' (known as porpoising) has nothing to do w/ roll bars & everything to do with ride frequencies (long story). his deduction that PSS9 are 'stiffer in pitch' if they 'match the roll control' of M030 just doesn't make any sense. it is the ratio of front to rear wheel rates that determine bounce frequency & the ratio of single axle spring rate to (single axle spring rate + anti-roll bar rate) that determines sway frequency.

gobbledygook aside, EXPERIENCE tells me that PSS9 is a well engineered system that works well with any number of sway bars. for the street, i like M030 S front & M030 base rear. for the track, i like GT3 front w/ H&R rear on half-stiff.

the PSS9 does not 'bob up and down the road' with any of these setups, as roll-bars have little to do w/ porpoising.

FYI: it is the ratio of front wheel rate to rear wheel rate combined w/ wheelbase length that ulitimately determines whether a car will porpoise. imagine going over a speed bump: if the spring rates are the incorrect ratio w/ respect to one another, the rear of the car will pich up as the nose is diving. when the nose of the car comes back up, the rear will squat. basically, the nose & tail of the car would be doing opposite things at the same time. the result is a crappy ride.

a properly designed suspension will attempt to move front & rear suspensions in phase with one another. this results in the entire car moving up & down a bit, but not diving & pitching.

hard to explain; hope it makes some sense.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote