View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
TheProspector

Garage
Older thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for the details on this how-to. Installed red belts today and they turned out great.

All said, this project ran just under $100. The new belt material was around $75 and the stitching at a shoe repair shop was $18 and they said they do seat belts all the time. They were also open on Saturday morning and were able to have it done for me in an hour and a half, which eliminated down time with the car...

Just a note: I had to use an 8mm wrench on the carpeted cover instead of a 7mm, and using a 17mm wrench on the retracting mechanism instead of a socket was much easier. I couldn't fit a socket in that small space on the mechanism.

Also, I know people are nervous about compromising safety for looks, but seat belt replacement seems to be pretty common practice, and old belts do wear out from even the effects of UV light. My advice would be definitely please don't try to just sew these at home. Take them to an experienced shop. I feel very confident in the work done on mine.
TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote