View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Eric G
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Interesting morning today...

Well, it was a strange morning today. Decided it was going to be sunny and the Boxster needed to go for a spin. Two miles from home, going between first and second gear on a slow acceleration I feel a thud in my seat and all of a sudden I have no power!

Clutch still works, engine is running fine, gears shift like they are suppose to but nothing will make the car go forward. I am stuck. Thankfully it happened right at a construction zone and the guys quickly came over and got me out of the road and to a really nice parking spot on the side.

Well, called the wife, she brought the truck and we got the car back home into the garage and on the lift. I am guessing at this point it might be a broken shifter cable or linkage. No dice either of those as they are looking just fine. But then my keen eye (I am able to spot things amiss quite well...not in this case) I notice my drivers side axle sitting on my suspension. It doesn't belong there???

Long and the short of it, the screws had backed out of the transmission and it went clunk! Nothing bent or broken just all of the screws had worked there way out. When I reinstalled my transmission last year, I had used blue lock tight with new bolts when I put the car back and checked the torque...but somehow I must have just missed it. My thought on blue verses red was if I had to pull the axles off, I didn't want to run the chance of snapping off a bolt. I have seen this happen to a few folks, but those may have been due to corrosion from years of being in one spot?

Also, I have read many threads on here about how axles have popped off due to not torquing the bolts down and I thought I was good on this one...in the end I wasn't. Oh well, today was a big lesson learned and I will be checking out both axles and all screws later today. I will post some pictures of before and after just as a reference point.