View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #16
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharari
I finally got the right axel out. I spent a lot of time going back and forth to autozone (closest place) getting tools: impact wrench (mine broke), axel puller that was too small for the hub, then the right axel puller.

I ended up not having enough clearance to get the axel out of the hub and remove it. After trying various things, what ended up working was to remove several of the bolts from the rear skidplate and bending it down a few inches. This allowed for the inside CV joint to come down below the transmission and the axle to clear the hub. It was a major PITA.

Hopefully the left side will be easier.

I didn't see how moving the exhaust would have helped. It wasn't really in the way. If I could easily get that skidplate off this would be a much easier job. Porsche really made it difficult here. They sandwiched the skidplate between the chassis and the diagonal strut.

I'd better get to the office now. I am about 4-1/2 hours late! I'm off tomorrow so hopefully I can finish it up.
Sorry, I have been extremely busy at work and unable to get back here. I will have ours up in the air tomorrow so I can take a look and compare it to the 928. It's easy to remove the skid plate. There are only about 8 bolts holding it on (all 15mm IIRC). If you have it on stands, just remove all of the bolts from the plate then loosen the two on the front end of each cross brace that is bolted on top of the plate so it can come out. Those braces are for on-road structural integrity so it's ok to take them off when it's up on stands. When you put it back on, make sure you torque the bolts down properly. I can't remember off-hand, but I'll look up the torque for 15mm bolts and post it in the morning.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote