View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Meir:

I found a really simple DIY at http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/40-removing-and-installing-ballast-resistor-for-the-radiator-fan-motor/. Essentially, it says to:
  1. From underneath, unclip the old resistor
  2. Cut the wires about 1.5" from the old resistor
  3. Do the same with the new resistor
  4. Slide heat shrink over the old wire and the splice the new resistor to the old harness using crimp connectors
  5. slide heat shrink over the new splice and shrink using a heat gun
  6. clip the new resistor into the bracket

This was for a 996. I'll give it a look and see if this as easy as it sounds. If not, I'll either have to pull the liner or fender off and replace the resistor with its harness.

Thom
that makes sense.
here are some photos i took earlier this evening.

if you look at the lower corner of the bumper, you will see a "hole" between the bumper and the plastic cover.

here you can see the resistor.

the wires go up

and ens behind a plastic cover, attached to the back of the fan.

i spent couple of minutes trying to remove this cover, with no success.
it looks like its held in place by two clips that are very hard to reach.
the way i see it you have two options.

1. cut the wires and connect the new resistor as described in the DIY you found.
if you go that rout, i suggest soldering the wires, and using a water proof heat shrink. this type of heat shrink has glue in it, and i think you can get it at radio shack. as you can see, the resistor is located in a place that can easily get wet.
you don't want to have corrosion issues after the winter.
2. remove the bumper, air scoops and radiators. remove the plastic cover at the back of the fan, and plug in the new resistor.
if you have the time, go for the second option. it is not that complicated, and you also get to clean all the dirt accumulated on the radiators.
you will be surprised do see how much crap will come out of there.
good luck, and happy thanksgiving.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote