Thread: HUD device
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
Received the HUD from the UK. OBD would not seat in the Boxster socket but did seat in my '09 Chrysler Town & Country van. Thing worked fine there but I don't need it there. I checked the OBD from my Durametric with the one supplied with the HUD. Dura. has a metal tab at the bottom and the HUD does not but rather a plastic extension of the surround material. Also the pins in the Dura. are much thinner than the ones in the HUD. I had no idea all OBD's were not made equal as I thought they had to be for interstate emissions checking etc.

I described the problem to the vendor and he said he would get back to me on Monday after he checked around. I requested a different OBD plug or I would have to return it. Any of you run into this difference in OBD plugs?

AKL
The OBDII connector is a standard.
The plug itself is the same in all vehicles from 96 and up.
With that said, the bracket of the OBDII connector can be different in it's mooting configuration. As far as I know, there are 4 types.
The "regular" most common comes in Japanese and European cars. has two clips on the sides to hold in place.
GM stile 1: the bracket has holes, so it is mounted with screws instead of clips.
GM stile 2: the bracket has rails. Mostly common with Pontiac cars.
And the German style. Has clips on bottom and top. Only comes in BMW, mercedes, Porsche, Audi and VW.
If you need one send me a PM. I might be able to help.
Just for reference, the pinout on all styles is the same.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote