View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Meir, thank you for the great explanation.

Let me elaborate further: I want to integrate the mechanism, the relays and a push button (click me) to make this happen.

The push button will be installed underneath the brake pedal in a way that it activates under hard braking (and not each time that I push the brakes). I will install it as precise as possible that the brake lever pushes the switch whenever it is pressed all the way down. Whenever I take my foot out, it retracts automatically.

As I suspected (and you confirmed), the ECU in the Boxster controls the operation of the motor and cuts power at a precise time delay (4-6 seconds...). But in your case, if there is a fault between your relays and ECU, that means your motor has no way of stopping once you push your manual switch. Otherwise, the ECU does not control the timer... and there is something we don't know here.
Hi silver.
for the first part of your post.
using this type of switch will not get you anywhere. it is probably the worst one you can use for this task. if you think doing it with a switch at least use something equivalent to that:

this is the safety switch for the clutch pedal of the boxster. there are other generic switches just like it, for less $ (i just don't know how its called in English).
the nice thing about this type of switch (on top of the fact it is very robust), is the ability to bend the lever, and get much accurate setting.
not only that, if you would like to activate the switch using the pedal, it will not break if the pedal has more travel after touching the switch. the switch lever will flex like a leaf spring, and will return to its initial position once released.
problem is, it will be activated every time you will press the brake to the set level.
if you want to do it the right way, i have an accelerometer sensor, that can detect deceleration, and can be configured in 0.5G increments. it also has internal timer to adjust the output length (to hold a relay).
just like Tony, i'm not sure if the spoiler will operate the way you want it. it extract really slow, and by the time it will be all the way out, you will be probably stopped already.
as for the second part of your post.
the switch that manually activate the spoiler, is not a one touch switch.
you have to press and hold it, until it complete its travel (both ways). you can even leave the spoiler half way open, if you want.
looking again at the diagram, i can see that on top of the two relays (that looks like generic 5 legs) there are 5 wires going to the spoiler motor as well (can you confirm ?).
so... there is another circuit on the motor itself. could be i have a faulty motor.
i'm sure ill be able to find the issue once ill dive in to it (this is the first time i even look at the diagram).
worst case i'll ask Tony to build me a circuit the connects to the VSS and activate the relays.

Last edited by Meir; 10-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote