View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
You are welcome. What did you find?
holly s****t, completely forgot about it.
i still have the car open, so ill have a look at it tonight.
now, let me give you some pointers.
1. have a look at this diagram to have a better perspective of where everything goes.
Porsche Boxster Refrigerant Circuit Parts
parts 7 and 8 are the rear lines that goes from the compressor to under the car body.
2. there is no "nice" way to catch the Freon (the coolant as you call it) without the proper equipment. the Freon and the AC oil, are pressurized in the system, so if you will disconnect one of the lines with the system still charged, it can end up really ugly.
if you do insist on doing it yourself, the only place you can drain the system safely, is at the low pressure valve (located at the passenger side in the frank, next to the cabin air filter).

remove the black cup, place a rag on top of the valve, and gently press it with a thin screwdriver, just like you are inflating a tire.
as you can see from my picture, this process is pretty messy. also be careful not to freeze your hands (or any other parts of your body) .
looking back, this is definitely something you want a professional to do. you can go to the same guy you are planing to use to charge the system, and ask him to evacuate it. he might be able to save the Freon for you, and reuse it in the charging process, but i'm not sure about that.
3. replace the O-rings in any "link point" that you opened.
4. replace the "receiver dryer". this is the "can" located on the driver side next to the shock tower (part 3 in the diagram). as i learned in this forum, this "can" is collecting the moister from the AC system. since you opened the system, moister gets in. moister = rust, and you don't want that. you can get a good after market dryer for 20$.
hope it helps, and good luck.
Meir.

Last edited by Meir; 10-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote