View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Wouldn't it be great to have an air filter that was serviceable from the side intake vent instead of the whole process of putting the top in service mode, pulling the top forward, removing the carpet piece, removing the engine cover, opening up the stoopid airbox design, removing the old filter element, dropping a bunch of leaves sticks and crap down into the clean side, vacuuming out the airbox, replacing the element, reverse assembly procedure...

After racing motorcycles for many years and servicing the air filter between races I came to enjoy a quick airbox element removal. I would love that on my Boxster.

The fly in the ointment: Water ingestion IMO. Our air intake is in a fairly vulnerable spot and I think a lot of the airbox and snorkel design was to prevent water ingestion and foreign debris from entering the intake. Eliminating the stock airbox and snorkel will surely improve airflow to some extent but it may put the motor at risk if some big 4x4 blasts through a rain swollen puddle and nails the left side of our car. Continuous dousing while traveling next to another car on the hwy may also be a problem. We need Randall to test this the next time he gets a good ol' Texas flood.