View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
politby

986 Bose rear deck enclosure questions

Another question that has been only half-answered in earlier threads.

I am ripping out the Bose-MOST system in my 2003, replacing door and dash speakers, head unit and amp.

I also want to do something about the rear deck speaker enclosure, which appears to be not a subwoofer but rather some sort of rear fill kludge.

Anyway when looking at the pinout of the existing amp it looks like the rear deck enclosure is driven as 3 separate channels from the amp (rear L/R, sub) but other posts suggest it is really 2 channels with the "woofer" and midrange drivers in parallel for a 2 ohm load per channel. Does anyone know the real truth about this?

If there are only 2 channels of speaker wiring to the rear, my original plan of using head unit power for the rear midranges and bridged amp power for the subs (re wired in series for a 4 ohm load) is no good unless I pull new wires, which I'd like to avoid having to do.

The other option is to rebuild the rear enclosure, replacing the Bose drivers with a high quality 2-way system making 2 new channels, OR removing the midranges and replacing the woofers with a pair of high quality 6.5" drivers, effectively turning it into a subwoofer.

All of these options are really half measures, considering the unknown quantities of the Bose enclosure, but anything will be a great improvement compared to the awfulness of the existing system.

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

politby is offline   Reply With Quote