View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
hookoo3

Vibration and grinding noise

My friends 2001 Boxster S (60,000 miles) was having a very considerable vibration ( the whole car would be vibrating) between 35 an 50 kph and a low frequency type of humming droning noise. The inner CV boot was torn and leaking grease on the right side. I replaced the inner CV joint and both CV boots on the right axle. The vibration is slightly less however the low frequency drone is still there. I had the car on jack stands and had the car in drive and there is a definite humming noise and slight grinding noise seems to be near the transfer case. Could the left side CV joint be causing the noise and vibration? The CV boot on the left side is intact. When driving the car while making a hard right turn the droning noise seems to be less. Would a bad wheel bearing cause vibration? What should be the next step in diagnosis as I don't want to keep changing out parts. The vibration may be related to the front motor mount which I didn't check out yet. However I do think there will still be a problem with one or more of the other CV joints or wheel bearing. Again where should i start with the next step. Thanks.