View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am saving up for Hoosier tires and a set of used lightweight O.Z.'s so I can turn harder without worrying about my street tires since I DD the car. A set of Hoosier tires themselves are $1300-$1400.

The race car instructor said that at the speeds I might reach with my car, the Hoosier tires should last me about 20 track days, maybe as low as 15 as I get better and drive harder. I was planning on 4 track days per year so that seems good.
My advice is not to jump to Hoosier's any time soon. You didn't mention what brand/model tires you have now, but ask yourself if your track driving is ready for a tire with tons more mechanical grip that reqiures you to push the car fairly hard to get enough heat in it to grip in the first place and a fairly abrupt limit that will let go without much warning in the second place.

An alternative is to learn your track driving skills on street tires until your driving skill is better than the tires - THEN upgrade. The time to go to Hoosier's is when you are driving hard enough to get the tires up to temp; know how to manage tire pressures based on the track, your driving, and the weather; and are comfortable sliding the car around at 80+mph and recovering from such a slide without drama.

So rather than pop for a new set of Hoosier's, buy a set of Kumho Ecsta XS or Hankook RS-3 ($800 and can be driven on the street and the track) and use the extra money to pay for more track days to improve your driving skills.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-22-2012 at 01:49 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote