Thread: First auto x
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
So I did My 2 day DE event and it was awesome ! I never drove like that in my entire life. My instructor was also cool he took me out in his 997 GT3 on track tires , i almost lost my lunch after that run . He was trying to stay with a skyline GTR but got dusted .
I was very surprised that the Boxster was so capable . The first day it seemed like i was passing a lot of the field. The second day they all seemed to get a lot better and I was getting passed a lot. There was only 1 other boxster in the novice group which was a little disappointing but over all there was a great mix of cars. I think i am hooked i already signed up for the next event. Any advice on getting my car better prepared for the next event?
Sleep well the night before and remember to drink a lot of fluids. Its easy to forget to eat and drink and get worn out (and lose your concentration) by noon.

Also, as Topless said, don't change anything substantial on the car for the first year. Learn to drive it stock first and THEN improve the car when you have progressed to the point of being a better driver than the car.

I have driven my stock car on 35 track days over 14 months and while I've slowly improved the tires and alignment, I am only now planning on PSS9 coilovers and GT-3 sways. The stock car has MUCH more capability than most people ever imagine.

In fact, last weekend at the track Brad and I checked lap times and I was turning lap times equal to a place about 2/3's of the way back in the field of Boxster Spec cars - which is pretty darn good for a car with 106,000 miles on the original suspension, heavier, without an UDP, etc.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote