View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, its definitely worth doing a track alignment even with the stock suspension. Here is the series of events that I have followed over the past 16 months (new is in bold). As Topless said, its not a slippery slope, its a cliff!

1. Stock suspension, standard stock alignment, street tires. Fine for beginning track driver. As I got better/faster, I had extreme wear on the outside 1/3 of front tires.

2. Stock suspension, track alignment yielding max -1.2 deg camber in front, street tires. Much improved handling and improved grip. But again as I got better/faster, I had extreme wear on the outside 1/3 of front tires.

3. Stock suspension, track alignment yielding -1.2 deg camber in front, Nitto NT-01 race tires. Much improved grip due to the stickier tires. but the camber alignment limit casued premature/extreme wear on the outside 1/3 of front tires. Forum members (noteably Topless and Brad) predicted this would happen and they were correct.

4. Stock suspension, adustable GT-3 lower control arms, track alignment yielding -2.25 deg camber in front, Nitto NT-01 race tires. Started out with even tire wear. but as I got faster, I still have too much wear on the outside 1/3 of front and rear tires.

Next month....

5. PSS9 upgrade with adjustable sway bars, adustable GT-3 lower control arms, track alignment yielding -2.5 to -3.0 deg camber in front, Toyo RA-1 race tires. This is the Spec Box setup and I expect (hope for) better handling, more grip, and fairly even tire wear.

To the OP: sounds like you're about where I was around Step 3 so the track alignment will definitely improve things. Then prepare yourself for Step 4 or Step 5...
Ah, the slippery slope. You are definitely hitting the track pipe hard. Good for you.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000