View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
schoir

Eric: Your canvas top is not going anywhere at any speed because the black "hydraulic" pushrods are exerting pressure to keep the clamshell locked down tight.

If those pushrods are not connected, I believe that there is some risk in driving "at speed" without anything holding down the clamshell. While nothing may happen in almost every instance, even driving 130 mph, the right combination of factors could spell disaster. All you need is to be going over a bump or a rise, at speed, to slightly dislodge the clamshell and raise the top a couple of inches...

If it catches wind then, it doesn't matter which way the clamshell is hinged, the canvas top will deploy like a parachute.

As I said, Pothole has proved that it's been fine for him for almost two years, but it only takes one "perfect storm" and it's all over. I think it would be a simple matter to devise a small clip that holds down the clamshell to be 100% safe. It's like getting under a car with just a hydraulic jack and no jack stands...I wouldn't do it.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote