Thread: manual top
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard View Post
Schoir, thank you for such detail in your description, but I'm still lost. I stared at the shop manual and read your post for 20 minutes, while looking at the same pieces of metal seemingly assembled together permanently with some kind of hidden Porsche magic wand. The shop manual showed how to disassemble, but only while the top is completely down but mine is up. And they aren't even making sense to me with their terminology and I certainly don't see any red caps anywhere.

I'm uploading some pics.

Is the nuckle what I disassembled below to expose Area #2? There is what looks like a steel cap in Area #2, but that POS doesn't want to come off and there is no room to get anything between it and it's plastic casing. I will refer to Area #1 in the next pic.

What I think is the pushrod or some kind of bar lays behind Area #1 below. But there is no way to disconnect any of this. Am I completely off and need to look between the seats and doors somewhere?

I want this top completely manual, I'll get speedster bumps or something to secure it, but I no longer want to rely on 5,000 points of failure every time I'm caught at night or in the rain. Please help, I'm not far from taking a razor to it and making it a permanent convertible.
Rock:

You are looking in the completely wrong area.

The bolt that you want to remove can be seen if you look straight down into the convertible top well while standing facing where the door meets the rear quarter panel. Look down and just inboard of where the B-pillar is folded down in a horizontal position. The bolt is recessed inside the center of the V-lever.

Go to this link, and take a look at the photo on page 19 of the Part II PDF: installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97 - mikefocke2

(go to the bottom of the page to find the link to the Part II PDF).

That photo will show you the 19mm bolt that you can access while the top is down, but you will need a "small offset" 19mm box end wrench to get it in there. Sears sells one that works well.

Once you remove the 19mm bolt, the V-lever will come off and that will give you access to the both the front and the rear pushrods, whose anchoring locations are
depicted in that photograph.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote