View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
JoeFromPA

99 boxster - radio is working/on but no volume & controls don't affect it

Here's a weird one. My boxster had been sitting for awhile - didn't intend it too, but life got in the way. So when I went to put the trickle charger on and the car was just about dead. I could hear the window trying to go down when I opened the door, but no luck.

So I trickle charged it and just drove it 35 miles, so I'm sure it's just fine now.

Anyway, after driving for a few miles I notice the radio is on - it's reading the station and the singer just fine. But none of the controls do anything and there is no volume.

Seems like a weird problem - it's getting power, but all the controls have no effect; however, it's receiving and processing signal just fine.

Even more oddly, it didn't require a radio code to be entered...

My guess is this is some weird effect of having the battery mostly drain - the radio is in a protected mode until I enter the code.

So my current plan is to take the negative cable off the battery for a minute, put it back on, and then re-enter the code.

Anyone else ever hear of this or have any tips?

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote