View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
986_inquiry
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
You got that right! Black has always been a love hate affair with me.

I am still learning

I finally found out that it almost totally impossible to get a decent finish with a traditional store bought slow speed buffer unless you willing to spend a whole lot of time with it. Even then you may never get to the finish you want. They work good enough on light colored and metallic finishes but horrible on black if you want that mirror finish.

High speed buffer so far has been the only thing that works for me on black finishes. But it is also easy to burn the paint if not done properly
No, you can definitely get a good finish from a "slow" speed buffer, it doesn't take thousands of RPMs to buff out minor scratches if you're using the right cleaner wax or polish, just have to find that perfect grit

the two black bottles in the photo are 3M machine polish. I've been spot testing all over the car my various cleaners/polishes and that did an amazing job by hand. Need to do more testing before going over the whole car but it looks promising so far. Tried some Meguiars medium cut cleaner (far left in photo) and that was way too harsh but the 3M buffed out the swirls.

I told wifey I promised not to buy anymore waxes until I used up some of the bottles I already have. If I find something that works as well as I remember Zanio working I'll post it here.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote