Thread: Which R-Comps?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Which R-Comps?

I've had 20 days at the track this year with my stock '99 Boxster, mostly with the POC but a few days with other orgs as well. Mostly DE's but I am also licensed in time trials. Been running low treadwear street tires all year (Kumho Ecsta XS and Hankook Ventus RS-3). My car has a racing seat, 6-pt harnesses, and the BK roll bar extension and I have a SFI-rated driving suit/shoes/gloves.

I recently bought a spare set of wheels (225/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear) and would like to move to r-comp tires for track days starting next month (and then upgrade the suspension to PSS9's, etc in the spring). I won't be running in any Boxster spec class (until I get the suspension upgraded) so I don't have to adhere to any particular racing tire make/model.

Typical tracks are: Willow Springs Big track, Streets of Willow, AutoClub Speedway Roval, Pomona road course, Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, Spring Mountain, etc.

With all of that being said, what would be a well performing and reasonable lasting r-comp tire to try first?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote