Thread: 1998 sold
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
thstone, I guess if one wanted to they could just use their left leg on the dead pedal space and pretend to clutch because other than that and the gear throw, in manual you can drive exactly like a manual. Downshift, upshift, keep revs high for a corner exit, whatever you want. Most of the Ferrari's are all manumatics.
I've driven the PDK on the street and the track and what I miss is the involvement and the nuance - when I'm choosing the gears and operating the clutch, I can modulate the clutch as needed for the conditions and/ or execute a perfect heel-and-toe downshift for a corner.

Granted, the PDK can do all of this quite well and generally better than I can, BUT that's not the point. The point is that I want to learn to be able to do it well myself and when I do, I feel like I've personally accomplished something.

Driving fast and/or smoothly by pushing buttons or pulling levers and letting the computer sort it out just doesn't give me the same sense of accomplishment.

As I said, my preference has nothing to do with the PDK. Its an excellent transmission.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote