View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #14
schoir

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbythebay
Hi Maurice,

I am looking at JM&A Group, and primary reason is that 4 Porsche stores sell the same warranty. I have gotten (still waiting on 1 more) 3 quotes for the Platinum 6900 (Stead Motors Walnut Creek), 3520 (Livermore Porsche), & 4,200 Gold Plus (Rector Porsche Burlingame). Little surprised about the difference differences from these dealerships. I will get Carlson Porsche in Palo Alto quote tomorrow. I am also going to take a trip out to visit the dealerships over weekend (get to drive my car!) and see what they are all about...
Eric:

Sorry, just came up for air after (actually it's still around for another 12 hours or so) our little Cat 1 Hurricane on Long Island (first one for me, this time in shorts and a Tee-Shirt.

The differences that you are seeing exist mainly because they can tweak these service contracts to suit their particular niche or market. Fortunately for you California is a very consumer oriented state so they do have constraints put on their activities. So, you have some protection already, that most don't have... Additionally, there are already Federal Warranty statutes that protect you, with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act being at the forefront.

(Cat Converter at up to 8 years/80k) no matter where you bought the car, etc...., you do not HAVE TO get ALL OF YOU SERVICE done at the dealer, you CAN INSTALL aftermarket parts and not void your warranty (but you have to do this discretely and they have to be quality parts, otherwise the dealer will set out to trot out umpteen bogus reasons why they won't help you/its not covered/it's the cause of the failure for which you brought your car into the dealership.,. etc....

So, be very meticulous about keeping records if/when you pull the trigger to buy one of these warranties, and make sure that you read the fine print before you turn over your Benjamins.

IMNHO, the dealers that you mentioned, must be playing a shell game of sorts. If they weren't, they would be hard pressed to answer or even to justify to themselves why all they MUST squeeze every last dime out of each and every customer that walks in AND why they have all little "profit centers" including the one that promotes, sells/ handles the service contract.

Let us know which one, if any, you ended up getting or, better yet, tell us what kind of deal you got......

REgards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote