View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
schoir

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbythebay
I am the proud new owner of a 2005 Carmona Red Boxster ! I actually got it in Knoxville Tennessee from www.usimotors.com (see pics on site). It has 17,700 miles. I paid 27.5k and that was with some negotiation. I like to negotiate and I think thats part of the fun!I only wanted that color with either gray or black interior. It happened and I bought it. Nice dealership and they only sell high end cars (Bentleys, Ferrari, Maserati) I bought it on line. I had the car shipped to San Francisco. I got to see it and drive it for the first time last Saturday. Nice, nice car. Shipper was great (Grand Tourismo) and got it out here in 1 week.

I have decided to buy a warranty. I have been reading about the problems these cars can have. I just dont have big bucks for repairs, so want the insurance...Plan on keeping the car a long time. I started doing a warranty search, and seems nobody really has a good reputation (or people certainly like to complain about them). I got a quote from Easy Care 4/48k warranty $5400, then Direct Buy warranty $2700- Lets talk about these people for a moment...Offering same type of warranty ( I think anyway) and if I purchased it by 3pm today they would add another year of warranty or 5/60k, plus throw in some other freebies...I started this morning before I left from work. I finally put my phone on vibrate as a diff rep would contact me every hour (lol). Any thoughts? I was picking up on something isnt right...or they were having a sale on warranties.Go figure!

Now for all you people in SFBay Area you will find this interesting. I went to Rector Porsche(Burlingame) and they sell a warranty JM&A Group. I am quoted $3602 for Gold Plus 4/48 (250 ded) Called Livermore Porsche and they sell same warranty. Here is where it gets interesting. I was offered the Platinum plan (better than Gold plus) 4/48k $3500. (1k difference and better coverage)

Any experience with these warranty companies? Other warranty companies you might suggest? Thanks/Eric
Monsieur ERIC-BY-THE-BAY:

I have had somewhat extensive personal experience with a number of "automobile service contract" companies in the U.S. (i.e, Warranty Companies), and I can honestly say, without fear of contradiction, that the only company that has dealt fairly (although they still had to/have to be gently prodded in the correct(ed) direction) is Warranty Direct , based in Uniondale, NY.

Others ...U.S. Fidelis comes to mind, as do myriad other companies that seem to pop up out of nowhere, sign up as many customers as possible through whatever sales channels they can wangle, and then die a (sometimes not-so-long) lingering death by way of the United States Bankruptcy Court (if they are in that particular "state" of affairs), and always, always (unless there is a bulldog out there who won't let them off so easily, and who will stop at nothing to bring them (and their accomplices) will try to avoid coming to the table so that they may then be allowed to pay up and to make other amends to the customer, arbitrator, etc.,

Then all is well, but reallly, most of the time it's very vexing when a relatively large (IMS and other engine failures come to mind) claim is submitted, especially because they will pay the nickel and dime claims to get your guard down...

A case in point regarding the preceding state
ment, is the cahoots that they are in with some other "consumer-protecting agencies" Can you say Better Business Bureau entities (e.g. a Better? Business? Bureau?)...

What is especially sad is that they seem to do it with impunity, and I'm also referring to icons singing their praises on TV ads....etc...

But, I digress...and have to travel to PA to continue... Haha!!!

Soooooh, to answer your question directly...If a "warranty company" or its insurer has been around for a good, long time, you are always better off dealing with them than with ANY fly-by-night, advertise-on- TV warranty company. Also, since you are in San Francisco, you enjoy an added level of protection from the California consumer protection apparatus.

Just my tow cents. ...(pun intended...Pun Intended )

Best
Regards,

Maurice. :dance: matchup:
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote