View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

My list was very similar! I bought my car 10 months ago with 86K miles for $10K. Knowing that there are no cheap Porsche's, I knew that I'd likely spend $2,000+ in the first year. Here's what I've done:

•Replace the clutch
•Replace the flywheel
•Replaced the RMS (while doing clutch)
•Replaced the tires

•Replaced both the handbrake switch (so top will work) and the clutch switch (so car will start)
•Replaced the top microswitch in the windshield header (so top will work)
•The alarm didn't work because the front bumper was installed incorrectly. Removed and reinstalled correctly and got the alarm working.
•Had alignment done because the car was shaking quite a bit over 70mph
•Ignored the IMS when I replaced the clutch. Its worked fine for 92K miles, so it will likely last a few more.
•Replaced brake pads and rotors
•Replaced fuel filter
•Replaced spark plugs
•Replaced spark plug tubes
•Changed oil
•Replaced brake fluid
•Replaced engine air filter
•Replaced cabin air filter
•Replaced windshield wiper blades

•Had to buy floor mats (none in car)
•Installed iPod cable
•Installed rear speaker kit
•Wheels aren't in very good condition. Drive as-is.
•Centre ashtray lid was broken, replaced

Overall, this is pretty typical for an affordable 10-year old Porsche with nearly 90K miles. This is why many people on this forum recommend a PPI so you know what you're getting into and the ongoing costs associated with keeping it running and fixing all of the little stuff.

I've been MORE than happy with my car. I mostly expected everything that I've had to do based on my PPI. The clutch/flywheel was the only real surprise (but an expensive one).

In summary, I'd buy the car again in a microsecond!

Now, I need to get out to the garage and check my front brake pads because I have a pad sensor lit up on the dash!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote