View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Frodo

You guys are confusing me...

Regarding torque values, this is what Bentley recommends, in full:
Engine mount to engine 34 ft-lb
Engine yoke to body 48 ft-lb
Engine yoke to engine mount 48 fl-lb
Now, what I've been talking about is the second in the list..my only question is whether they're recommending 48 ft-lb to the stud, or 48 ft-lb to the nut that threads onto the stud. Both are involved in fastening the yoke to the body.

The only 34 ft-lb recommendation is for the bolts that actually go into the engine. That seemed crystal clear, and I've already followed that advice.

Back to the studs mentioned above. With the heads on them at 7 mm, the only wrench I have that's that small is about 4" long. If I'm supposed to crank that to 48 ft-lb, I need to get a longer wrench...I'm not sure I can put almost 150 lb of force on that little wrench, which is what I'd need to accomplish 48 ft-lb. In any case, it just seems to be asking for trouble--I think with that much torque you'd be likely to tear up the wimpy little 7 mm heads. I put 'em in basically pretty much as tight as I could with the little wrench I mentioned and am going from there. (When the nuts are threaded on and torqued to 48 ft-lb, that's gonna put a lot of outward force on the stud threads in the body, which should make the fit pretty secure---I just don't see them coming undone.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote