View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 AM   #18
insite

modern porsches are designed with a LOT of caster in order to maximize the effect at smaller steering angles. as a rule of thumb w/ our cars, every degree of steering angle adds almost a tenth of a degree of camber.

keep in mind, though, that this is not the only mechanism through which the suspension geometry adds camber. the car is ALSO designed to gain camber as the suspension compresses. the rates at which this occurs have to do with the inward angle of the struts & the length of the lower control arms. i don't have camber curves plotted for this car, but i CAN say that suspension compression of 1" will result in approximately -.7 degrees of camber gain. therefore, other suspension changes will modify the camber gain w/ certain amounts of weight transfer. example: soft suspension will compress a LOT, & gain significant dynamic camber through kinematic changes to suspension geometry. stiff suspension will move less & gain LESS dynamic camber, therefore more static camber should be dialed in (comparatively) to compensate.

when someone tells you that their camber is set to -1 or some such number, that is the STATIC camber. the measurement, though, is truly a dynamic parameter.

if you hit the track, you'll want to set camber based on pyrometer readings & treadwear, amongst other things. if you auto-x, the tires never really heat up & your tools will be chalk marks and tire wear.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote