View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
insite

frodo -

i haven't PERSONALLY worked w/ cryo treatments on anything other than rotors, although i know guys who swear by it in many applications. you mentioned cylinder heads & other stuff; i don't think this process does much for aluminum. at any rate, the idea with steel is that the cryo temperatures relax the crystalline lattice and allow it to re-form with a minimum of internal stress. this makes it less prone to cracking & wearing, especially in heat cycling applications.

as for the rotors, i buy the OP Parts version from ebs racing. they're $33 each for the 996/986S. i then send them off to get cryo treated for around $40. i paint the hats w/ ceramic black & install them.

they do SEEM better at the track, but i don't really have data to back that up. i DO however have data to back up the wear life. they just don't seem to wear, even w/ fairly aggressive pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Sorry about highjacking the thread, but I was curious (and suspected others might be as well) about this cryo treatment process. (I found a place locally that provides this service as well. They do engine parts, rotors, and bunches of other applications, car-related and otherwise.)

Regarding rotors, other than changes (improvement) in wear characteristics, have you noticed any other changes, for better or worse? Do the brakes feel any different? Perform any differently? Would this be a process as helpful to people that don’t track their cars as well as those that do? (I don’t, as of yet, though that’s potentially subject to change. )

Have you done this with any other components of your car? The local place I was reading up on advertises doing everything from valve springs, wrist pins and connecting rods, on up to blocks and heads…even complete engines! Just curious what other applications you’ve used (or considered using)...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote