View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #18
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
Sorry to hijack your thread alittle bit... but i noticed no one answered your question on viscosity of the oil yet...

The opc here recommends 5w50 weight oil for older cars here and I'm currently on 5w50 elf oil. Seems to have quieten down the start up clatter to just a split second after turning the key.

Are there any cons of using the 5w50 weight oil ?? Besides the more sluggish feel ? It is tropical here so the weather is pretty much in the 75-95 degrees F region. I'm just wondering if it'll stress the engine or oil pump or anything else.... I remember the manual recommending a broad range of engine oil weights for the box, even down to 30w (winter ??), but not as high as 50w.

ANd is that anything wrong with the mobil 1 engine oil ?? My indie uses that and I'm due for an oil change now...

5w50 is fine. mobil 1 is fine. the additive packages for mobil 1 vary greatly across viscosity grades & people have strong opinions one way or another. as long as your oil change intervals are reasonable, i don't think the additive packages matter all that much. wear is not really the problem in these engines anyway.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote