View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvboxsters
Maurice? I'll look for him and send him a message. Just a question though, there are 2 motors for the convertible top correct? One for the cover and one for the roof? If that's so the one for the roof doesn't even operate it's like its off.

And yes I will shoot my brother lol, especially if the unit has to be replaced which I'm sure it does. I've found some on ebay for under 200 but I want to be sure that's the problem first.
There is only ONE electric motor for the convertible top, located under where the center rear of the clamshell cover ends up when the clamshell is sitting on top of a completely open, stowed top.

If your clamshell is operating correctly through its entire cycle, the fix is relatively easy and cheap.

The problem is that both of your plastic ball cups are either broken or have popped off their respective steel balls under the base of the B-pillar.

To have a look, press the button until the clamshell is in the rearmost, 45 degree position, and then take a look straight down between the sheetmetal just inboard of where the pointed ends of clamshell are normally located when the clamshell is down and the fat black arm of the B-pillar. If see a shiny steel ball there, with nothing on it, or a plastic ball cup that is not attached to a metal pushrod arm, that is your problem.

Be careful if you have operated the top with those plastic ball cups broken or popped off because the V-levers will still go through their cycle and the dangling front pushrods can dig in an tear the foam drain trays. That will lead to an expensive repair when water finds its way to the immobilizer under the driver's seat. If they are torn or ripped, you can seal them up effectively with Permatex Black Silicone Sealant.

Porsche only sells the complete pushrod assembly with the plastic ball cups attached. If you want a source for just the plastic ball cups, send me a PM and I'll send you the info.

Don't take the car to the dealer because of the top. We can fix it.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote