View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
clickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvboxsters
Yea Joe, definitely am going to want a second opinion on the rotors, he took a quick look (qbout 3 seconds) saw one scratch and said they all need to be replaced. I smell bull**************** to be honest.
I thought you said your mechanic was fair? If you can't trust him you're in a whole nuther ballpark.
The only real way to tell if the rotors have to go is to put gauges on to check thickness and runout. Although pros might be able to get a good idea on thickness based on feeling the wear ridge at the edge of the rotor. Runout problems, on the fronts at least, could mean shuddering when braking.

Quote:
@clickman, so you think it could be the levers? The top doesn't catch at all when the button is pressed, the cover just opens and retreats.
It could be one of the microswitches. But I'm guessing. Maurice is your best bet.
And you still haven't told us the model year of the car; there are differences in the tops from 99-00.

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely aware of the ocmplications associated with water leakage. The car hasn't seen rain in 2 years because of my paranoia. I'll be taking it in on the 15th to get things checked out. The convertible top may be something that I don't end up fixing if i will cost a lot of money. I really dont mind doing it the old fashioned way (really only half the old-fashioned way).
As someone mentioned, the drain holes should be checked that they drain. There's also one in the frunk by the battery. Any good Porsche mechanic or DIYer will check these regularly.